Vinyl plastic is a synthetic substance, which emerged as a multipurpose material in the early 1920s and since then is used extensively for numerous products from floorings, gloves, shower curtains, to insulators.
Vinyl tape, also known as electrical tape, is a type of pressure-sensitive tape. There are adhesive and dry vinyl tapes each having different purposes.
The adhesive vinyl tape is versatile in its use and thus, finds its place in numerous industries for a variety of purposes. Most often, the vinyl tapes are used to insulate electrical conductive materials such as electrical wires. While electrical tapes can be manufactured from many types of plastic, vinyl is the most popular as it provides an effective, durable, and long-lasting insulation, is highly stretchable, and the best vinyl tapes are fire retardant.
Vinyl tape is a highly adhesive, environment-friendly product, which provides incredible insulation and unbeatable protection for electrical installations. It has various features that make it an ideal substance for commercial use:
- Vinyl tapes come in many different colors, mainly blue, green, red, yellow and black
- Comes in various thicknesses, widths, and pattern, which provides a vast variety of options, suitable for all kinds of application requirements
- Highly resistant to abrasion, corrosion, moisture, and chemicals, and can withstand varying weather conditions
- Extremely flexible and durable, along with unparalleled adhesiveness and strength
- Ability to conform to the shape of the object during application, ensuring better insulation
- Ideal for electrical installations, but also used for mechanical purposes
- Simple to apply and easy to remove, without leaving any residue from the adhesive
- Specialized vinyl tapes are fire retardant, which makes them valuable for installations that have a risk of overheating
Vinyl tape is used in various industries for a myriad number of applications. Its adhesiveness, strength, and withstanding properties make it an invaluable tool for numerous electrical and mechanical projects. A high-quality tape comes with a strong, robust elastic backing and a powerful adhesive coating that remains uncompromised and unyielding for years at a time.
Electricians use these electrical tapes extensively as it ensures that the insulation of cables, wires, and electrical joints is impeccable and indestructible when applied correctly and firmly. The variety of colors make them extremely effective in differentiating between cables, especially for color coding different voltage levels and phase of the wire, as well as specific items within a company. Primarily, electricians use black tapes for insulation while colored tapes are usually referred to as phasing tapes.
Furthermore, the superior adhesiveness of the tape makes them far easier to apply and stay put, as compared to paints, when marking lanes in a factory setup and parking spaces. They are also employed to indicate safety hazard, seal joints, and wrap pipes in industrial facilities.
They are easy to tear off by hand, and you can add labels to them as well. The tape can peel off quickly, easily and cleanly as well. Thus it is suitable for joining objects temporarily.
Electric tape is frequently utilized to install low voltage cabling including voice, alarm, data, video, etc. In the automotive industry, vinyl tapes are used for bundling and repairing wire harnesses.
Non-commercially, the colorful tapes are often used as a decorative material as well as bundling. Drummers in the marching bands wrap their sticks with the tape to provide a better grip while guards apply them on their rifles and sabers.
Vinyl tapes are employed everywhere from electrical works, repairing, large industries and household installations. They are highly adhesive, stretchable, and provide lasting insulation, which makes them a prominent fixture almost everywhere, commercially and non-commercially.